Wednesday, January 7, 2015

What Is It Wednesday- Week 1

Have you gotten your DSLR and looked at it and said to yourself, "There are so many buttons on here!  What in the world are they?"  Then you feel like it would take FOREVER to remember what they are and where they are.  
That is exactly how I felt.  
Then I started looking at a book.
When we got the Nikon D60, it came with a book.
I thumbed through it, and it was a lot of reading.  It was the same overwhelming feeling that I had when I saw all the buttons.  
But I took it one step at a time.  


This book by J. Dennis Thomas is what helped me learn about my camera!
I now have a Nikon D5100.  When I got it, I already knew where a lot of things were thanks to this book!
So now I want to tell you guys about it!

I am going to take 5 weeks and tell you 5 different things about your camera that will help you so much!
So, let's get started!
For this first week, we are going to talk about the command dial.
Your command dial  can be in a different location, but mine is on the top right of the camera.
Here is some pictures of mine on my camera, so if yours is at a different spot, you know what it looks like.


You may already have noticed that you can spin this around.


Hahaha!  When I first did this I thought maybe I messed something up in a way.
Actually, you can spin this around all you want and it doesn't hurt anything.
It does, however do four things.
Here they are:
-changes the flash mode
-changes exposure
-change shutter speed in Shutter Priority and Manual mode
-change aperture in Aperture Priority mode.

So why can you spin it around all you want and it won't do anything?
Well, you have to press a button in conjunction while spinning it.
Don't worry, we will get to that next week!
Now you know what that awkward thingy is in the corner of your camera!
Ha! One question already answered!

Hope to see you next week!
Please leave any questions you have by commenting below!



2 comments:

  1. This is so helpful to me! I just ordered a Fujifilm s8630, and I am supposed to get it in the mail today! Yeah, I'm really, really, really, excited! :D I got a photography book too. So, I'm gonna take a little while to look at it. Maybe you could help at making videos as well! :D Thanks so much!
    ~Sarah Margaret♥

    trustinginthelorddaybyday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My camera is a little more basic than this. However, I am looking forward to seeing what other cameras can do for future needs.

    ReplyDelete